Posted on: 19 February 2016
A clean and attractive home exterior is important, but you may understand the role your garage door plays in your home's curb appeal. While surprising to hear, an updated, clean, and appealing garage door can increase your home's look and value. Thankfully, you can give your curb appeal a boost by beautifying your garage door. Using this guide on stylish trends, you can make your garage door gorgeous, appealing, and valuable.
If your door is rusty and damaged or you live in an older house, consider replacing your garage door with a new, updated version. A garage door replacement not only boosts your home' curb appeal, but it can offer you an 87 percent return on your investment in case you need to sell the house. Fortunately, you do not have to choose from an ordinary white door because multiple colors and designs are now available. Here are a few trendy options to consider:
- Unique Colors – Skip the ordinary white garage door and choose from a large selection of unique colors. Blue, gray, green, red, black, and even violet are fun color options to accent your home.
- Wood Look – An incredibly strong steel door with a finish that resembles wood is also a trendy option to consider. Wood tones may include mahogany, walnut, cedar, and oak.
- Windows – Your curb appeal can become extraordinary with a garage door that includes glass window inserts. Glass with decorative designs, unique trim, and even stained glass are all possibilities.
With all the different door styles, colors, and designs, you can find one suited to your personal style and home's architectural style.
Clean and Paint
You may not need to replace your garage door, but you can update the door with a little cleanser, paint, and accessories.
To get started, use a broom to sweep away dirt, dust, cobwebs, and other debris from the door. Combine 1 gallon of water with ½ cup of baking soda in an outdoor sprayer. Spray the solution onto your garage door and allow to rest for a few minutes. Then, rinse with your garden hose. The baking soda solution will dissolve away stubborn dirt and debris without affecting the surrounding landscaping.
Remove hardware and tape around any glass inserts so paint does not get on these areas. Apply a coat of primer and allow to dry before painting the door. Make sure to apply a second coat, as well, to ensure the paint covers the door evenly.
After painting the door, consider cleaning the hardware. Allow the hardware to soak in the baking soda solution. After a few minutes, rinse and allow to dry before reinstalling. If necessary, apply a coat of rust-resistant paint to the hardware.
If your door does not already have hardware, consider installing a set for decorative purpose. Carriage-style hardware kits are readily available at your local home improvement stores and are easy to install. Attach the longer accent pieces to the corners of your door before installing the decorative handles to the middle of your garage door.
Utilizing landscaping around your garage can also increase its look and your total curb appeal. Here are a few ways to style your garage door with landscaping:
- Trailing Plants – Install a trellis over the top of your garage door opening. Wood, metal, or wrought iron trellis' are available in a variety of sizes, so finding one to fit above the door is simple. After mounting the trellis to the top of the door, arrange trailing ivy or climbing roses on the trellis for instant appeal.
- Potted Plants – Purchase a large planter to go on each side of your garage door. Choose a planter that is large enough to frame your garage door in a color that will pop out against your home's siding. Plant a small tree or shrub in each planter or arrange multiple flowers and greenery to each planter for lush texture and color.
Making your garage door gorgeous is a smart investment. Using one or more of these solutions, you can increase your curb appeal and the overall look of your garage door. Check out a company like A AAA Allstate Door Company for more information.Share